I have a confession to make. This is actually batch #2 because the first one was not very good. At all. Even though I got the recipe from the Sure Jell box, it was just way too firm and way too sweet. So I tried again, this time with less sugar. Success!
3 1/2 lbs peeled and pitted peaches, (4 cups chopped)*
4 c. sugar
1 pkg Sure Jell
2 Tbsp lemon juice
*I crushed 2 cups and chopped 2 cups
1. Prepare canning equipment and pre-measure all ingredients.
2. In pot, combine peaches and lemon juice. Whisk in pectin and bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
3. Add sugar and return to boil. Boil constantly for one minute.
4. Remove from heat and skim foam.
5. Ladle jam into half pint jars and remove air bubbles with a knife. Yields 5-6 jars.
6. Wipe rim with a damp cloth or paper towel. Place lids on jars and tighten rings (finger tight).
7. Process for 10 minutes in hot water bath canner.
8. Remove from canner (carefully) and place on a towel. You should hear the lids ‘pop’ indicating a proper seal. If lids do not seal, reprocess with a new lid.
Enjoy! Properly sealed jam can be stored for up to a year, just remember to refrigerate after opening.