Thanksgiving is next week. NEXT week y’all! So this week, I decided to pull some of my favorite recipes out of the archives and share them with you again.
Once you try Green Bean Supreme, I seriously doubt you will ever go back to cream of mushroom again. The original recipe came from the 1972 edition of the Better Homes and Gardens Casserole Cookbook. My mom got it as a wedding gift in 1974 and over the years she has made this recipe her own, tweaking it into the creamy, cheesy goodness that it is today. Thanks Mom! Here’s what you need:
6 cans of cut green beans, drained
6 Tbsp flour
1 1/2 tsp. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
6 Tbsp butter
1/4 c. chopped onion
1 1/2 c. milk
1 1/2 c. sour cream
2 c. swiss cheese, shredded
1 lg. can French’s Fried Onions
1. Drain green beans and set aside.
2. Combine flour, sugar, salt and pepper and set aside.
3. Saute onion in butter for 1 minute over med heat.
4. Add milk and flour. Stir until thick and bubbly.
5. In a large bowl, add flour mixture to green beans.
6. Add sour cream and mix thoroughly.
6. Layer green bean mixture and swiss cheese in a lightly greased 9×13 casserole dish. Top with fried onions.
7. Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.