Here’s what you need:
6 c. sugar
8 c. whole ripe strawberries, hulled (about 4 1/2 containers)
4 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 pkg. powdered fruit pectin
Hot water bath canner kit
8-8oz. canning jars with lids
1. Sanitize jars and canning equipment.
2. Measure sugar and lemon juice and set aside.
3. In pie plate or bowl, crush batches of strawberries and transfer to heavy saucepan. (Yields 5 cups crushed).
4. Add lemon juice and whisk in pectin. Bring to a full rolling boil over high heat, stirring frequently.
5. Add sugar all at once, stir constantly and return to full rolling boil and boil for 1 minute.
6. Remove from heat and skim off foam.
7. Ladle into jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace.
8. Slide a non-metalic knife around jam to get bubbles out. Add more jam if needed.
9. Clean rim and secure lid.
10. Bring to a rolling boil and process for 10 minutes. Remove and place on towel. After a few minutes, check the lids to make sure they have sealed correctly.
11. Let jars sit on towel for 24 hours. Jars can be stored for up to a year. Refrigerate after opening.
Helpful canning links:
If you’re not ready for hot water bath canning, try freezing. Ball makes great plastic freezer jars. Just follow the recipe through step 9 then freeze. Thaw in the fridge.